Friday, June 26, 2009

Transfers are coming up

You can't be serious all the time!
Escalon is a small town a little bit north of Modesto (part of his area)


I think this was taken at a zone conference
There are several tall elders, huh?

No real furniture in his apartment -- just what is necessary for the work to be done.

June 22, 2009

Hello again, how is everything? Things are pretty much the usual here. I'm coming up on being here for 4.5 months in this area. We get the call on Saturday that says who, if either of us, gets transferred in 9 days. Time is going so fast. I hope I get transferred and I don't. We have three baptisms set for next transfer (all three of which I thought would happen this transfer), but at the same time... We did have a couple baptisms coming up this Saturday, but they're moved back again. It'll be ok though, they'll make it. It'd be good to stay as I know the entire area very well and most every member of the ward, whether active or not, very well. It would also be nice to go and get moved around a lot because that would give variety and a little less mundaneness to everything. I'm not sure what else I can do in this area. It's been really good though. When investigators come to church, it's always exciting...but when a less active individual that we've been working with and invite to come back starts becoming active again, it's so great! We have several individuals and families that we've been working with that have started coming back to church that haven't been in years. There's one in particular that came yesterday with his daughter. It was really great! About a week ago, we were at a family's home and they had a baby that was only maybe 5 days old. It was a boy, it was about ten days late...it was kind of weird. It was almost an identical situation as Drew it seemed. The stake here had a youth conference last week ago. Apparently that's a new concept out here. They kept referring to it as a mini-EFY. I guess it went really well and everyone that went loved it. The weather hasn't gotten too bad here yet. The highest it's gotten was 106, back in April. Apparently the weather has been extremely mild this summer so far. It's only been in the 80s-90s where it's usually in the 100s. They tell me that the valley is a dessert. They have irrigation canals all over and everyone has sprinkler systems because it just doesn't rain past March. They don't meter the water here either which I found strange. They don't have water towers either. They have pump stations scattered throughout town. We went to the Fresno temple on Tuesday, which is always really cool. I drove and we took another companionship with us. It's interesting for me to fit into our Corolla (which is pretty brand new, less than 5000 miles on it) when I have the seat all the way back. I fit, but I have to do a little maneuver to get my legs under the steering wheel. When I have to move my seat forward to accommodate other passengers into the back seat, driving a couple hours each way is....fun. Yeah, my legs got really cramped, but I'm ok. The car is really neat though. The antenna is a little bump near the back of the car. The most interesting thing about it, in my opinion, is that the headlights are automatic. They come on or go off depending on the lighting situations, so I don't have to worry about it at all. I'll be driving home at night and they'll just click on. It's great. Oh yeah, I got the package you sent, Mom, thanks for that! I admit I was disappointed it wasn’t really a grain mill, but I guess it's for the best. We don't have a Kitchen-Aid anyway. Oh well. I've been reading the New Testament lately along with Doctrine and Covenants. Good stuff. It's nice to have a greater understanding of things. That happens when one actually reads them. There used to be a church bookstore in the shopping complex about a block from our apartment. It's a shame it went out of business. On the other hand, with a missionary's allotment, it's all for the best perhaps. I think I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again. This ward is a melting pot of financial levels. We have everyone from neurosurgeons to those on welfare, and everyone in between. It's interesting finding out what everyone does and (as an afterthought to gospel stuff) trying to figure out what I want to do and what I would need to do it. I was talking to one of the neurosurgeons here in the ward and he said he had to go to 14 years of schooling for it. Not that I was ever considering anything like that, but yikes! A mission certainly gives you a view of the rest of the world (and how much I like my own little world :)). Down the street from our apartment lives a Hindi family from Fiji that we talk to occasionally. Instead of a lawn, they have bean plants growing in their front lawn. It's peculiar, but in a weird way, bean plants do more for you than a grass lawn will. I'm out of time, but it's great hearing from everybody both with emails and letters. I'll try to write a few letters today. We have to do a ton of stuff today, but I'll try to rush and get a few out. Bye for now!
Love,
Aaron



No comments:

Post a Comment