Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 25, 2009

E-mail – “Another day, another broke spoke”
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:51 PM

Imagine this, last Tuesday I found a broken spoke. I've been riding on it for a week, which isn't really a big deal, but I forgot to take it in yesterday... Oh well. I'll be a little wobbly for another week. I bought a full size bike pump yesterday, but I'll have to return it for another one, because it doesn't make any sense. It doesn't have any nozzles on the end of it. It just ends with an open tube. All of that same kind were like that. It was peculiar, and I can't figure it out. Well this week has been pretty good. There were several people with baptism dates when I came into the area. They all fell through. This past week we have been resetting them and we're still doing it. They'll happen...even if they do happen next transfer. In answer to your question, Mom, I have a 4x6 of the one that I think was the best one of the nuclear family in front of the temple. I don't have any other ones though. Also, yes, the goatheads will stab your finger when you pull them out...when you're not very careful. Only once did it draw blood though, and that was my own fault. I thought it was a rock in my shoe, so I brushed it off...not smart.

Zone conference is this week. I'm looking forward to it more than usual, because this will be the first one where I find out if anyone I had taught before had been baptized. I got a letter from one of my investigators from Modesto that I had taught a few times that said he had a date of August 22nd. I got the letter on the 22nd, so I assume it happened, which would be wonderful. Elder Bean's (my current companion) last companion in now up in the Modesto 5th ward. They switched it up, up there, so now a companionship covers both 5th and 7th wards. I'll have to write him and ask him how everything is going there. There are still tendrils of my roots fighting to survive and be involved in that ward.

I can't believe Dustan is, will be tomorrow anyway, in the MTC. He (I assume) is officially a missionary already. That's pretty freaky, weird, and awesome, if I do say so myself. I've been out almost 7 months...that's weird too. I realized it a few weeks ago, but I forgot to mention it. On August 10th, it was the 10 year anniversary of moving to Salem, MO. I haven't heard of any parties taking place, so I'll assume there weren't any.

I don't know if I've mentioned the grape harvesting here before. The Church owns a grape vineyard and the members in the entire surrounding area take care of it. They're pruned and harvested and all that, set out on rows of paper and allowed to sun dry. The subsequent raisins are sent worldwide to humanitarian aid. So harvest time is coming up, (over)
and I'm in the southern part of the mission. That means I'll get to do it. I think once I'm in the dusty fields with sweat and filth dripping down my back I'll change my mind, but I think it sounds like fun. I have a feeling it won't be anything like A Walk In The Clouds.

Speaking of movies (no, it's not what you think), toward the end of last transfer there was a movie-in and we went by to welcome them to the area. In the resulting conversation, the wife mentioned something about her sister, I think, being named Dorcus. I made the innocent comment about it being like Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. She about flipped and they told us that she absolutely loves that movie. I guess it's relatively popular, maybe? Anyway, as we were leaving the house, I couldn't help but burst out into a rendition of Bless Her Beautiful Hide. Gotta love it. Fun stuff.

We committed an investigator, Betty, to baptism last night. She said, "Yes, absolutely.", but then wouldn't commit to a date. So...I guess she hasn't made a real commitment, but next time I feel as though she'll accept full-heartedly. She's fairly golden.

Whoa. I was trying to think of what to say next, so I started moving the mouse down to the Start button to bring up Minesweeper. I haven't done that my entire mission. It just seemed such a natural thing to do. This is Elder Bean's second to last transfer in the mission. I figure, if both of us stay this next transfer, I'll be here for another three months--unless they double us out, which isn't too likely. It's been good hearing from everyone who wrote. I hope you're all doing really well!
~Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment