Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sept 8, 2009

Sept. 8, 2009

It's weird typing this week as I have a wrist brace on. I got into a gang fight, saved a baby from a runaway horse, or jammed it on my bike handle...take your pick. It hurts only if it is twisted the wrong way or if I lift something wrong with it. Also a little when I'm typing, but I'll get over that. My bike still isn't fixed. I was going to actually get around to taking it into the bike shop to get my spoke replaced, but it was Labor Day and they were closed. Hopefully I can go the rest of these four weeks on this broken spoke. It's done alright so far...well enough anyway. Another fun note, my bike seat is held up by two springs. One broke months ago. On Wednesday, the other one broke. The springs are now being held on with a gob of duct tape. It works.

We had the grape harvesting on Wednesday. The bulk of us left at 5:00 and there were several who went much earlier so they could work so we wouldn't have to come back another day. We get there and we're told they just finished with the rows our ward was assigned to. We ended up helping 3rd ward with their rows for a little while. It was very light. I guess they had maybe 4 or 5 times as many grapes last year as this year. It was fun though. It wasn't hot at all. At least, it wasn't really hot. It was very dirty though. Lisa would hate it. Spiders apparently thrive in the grape vines.

We have President's interviews in about an hour. At zone conference we signed a "title of liberty" that he made up with our refocus on baptism. We're also supposed to have a sacrifice that we're committing to. I can't afford the fatted calf, so I'll stick with these new-fangled personal sacrifices about taking away something that may be keeping you as focused. We're supposed to have one ready, but I still can't think of anything. They're all things like breaking up with the girlfriend back home, or not buying any sweets, or whatever they choose. I could give up my ice cream, but I really don't want to. I really like making ice cream shakes nearly daily. It's really not good for me, but I love it too much. Coming home out of the heat to an ice cream shake is one of my real loves right now. It's cooling down, though. The past couple of days, anyway, have been cooler. I don't want to jinx it. It should be cooling down soon and turning into Fall. That'll be so nice. I'm really sick of the weeks on end of 100+ weather, biking all day. It's worth it and I got used to it really quick, but I don't prefer it.

We have a goal to get two baptisms in the month of September...we had the baptism dates, but most have fallen through. We had to drop one of them Sunday. Date or no, he wasn't doing anything. One of our other ones dropped out on us. Another still is smoking. Another is 14 and it turns out the whole time we've been teaching her, she doesn't have parental permission...so we have to wait for her to break it to her dad that she's being taught and wants to be baptized. There's always opposition, but it can still happen.

Monday, the zone leaders call Elder Bean and tell him that they've decided that that day would work for them to have our zone activity. They chose volleyball. I looked down at my wrist and couldn't help but think, "You've gotta be kidding me." I still played though, and I didn't hurt it worse. It's almost a month into the transfer...four weeks tomorrow, anyway. Did the baptism of the older lady in the nursing home ever go through, in Salem (MO)? I hope everyone is going well. I'm sorry for the lack of letters that are getting sent out. I have a serious lack of time on preparation days. :/ Ok, I'll write later.
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment