Friday, November 6, 2009

Back in Modesto

I have been trying to copy and paste Aaron's last e-mail into his blog for several days, but for some reason it isn't working. Oh, well, here goes. I will have to type it out for you.
--Mom


Alright, well here I am, back in Modesto. As I wrote in the letter to Mom, I was emergency transferred to Modesto four weeks into the transfer. I'm now serving in the Modesto 8th ward. The work is pretty much at a standstill, unfortunately. It's pretty well bottomed out. That's very different from Visalia, which was booming with no end in sight. It'll pick back up, I'm positive, but I'm just not entirely sure how we're going to go about that. We're starting with the ward members, trying to get them excited and involved. My companion's name is Elder Jackson, and he is from Carbondale, Illinois. He's actually from the same ward as a sister that came to Fresno that was in my MTC district, Sister Dunkel. I guess she was a friend to Elder Jackson's older sisters. We got transfer calls Saturday night and we're both staying here. This will be Elder Jackson's last transfer, which means I get to mock him without end, which will be very fun. Elder Jackson is more of a nerd than I am, and the ensuing conversations make me laugh inside. It's a shame I wasn't able to see Elder Bean off, but it's ok.

I was able to go to the temple again last Tuesday, making a second time this transfer. That's always exciting. The Fresno Temple is great, but it'll be nice to get back to a large temple. They're so nice, not that it really matters what the size is though.

Apparently the computers in Visalia libraties can bring up photos, but the ones in Modesto are blocked by the firewall. Any photos that were sent via e-mail in the last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to see.

Halloween was fun. We had to be in at six, so we did things around the apartment. My dream of planning and eating a quick dinner and going to sleep at 7:00 was shattered when I realized how much stuff I really needed to get d0ne. I could have gotten like 12 hours of sleep, what with daylight savings time. However, I had to do a lot of mechanical surgery on my bike. My seat completely broke beyond repair (no, not even the amazing duct tape I was using could save it). The springs on the seat had both broken, and I taped them; then one fell off, and two out of the four screws on the bottom that were holding it all on were apparently off. It was a mess. Fortunately, there is a spare bike in the patio closet that is used for parts. Right now I have an old bike seat that I have duct taped the holes in it (see, it still has its uses in bike repair) on it. It works fine. I was also able to get a lot of other little repairs and maintenance on it done that has needed done for a long time. That pretty much took a good two hours or so. Fun times. Ok, I'm off. I hope you all have a good week!
~Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment