Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Merry Christmas, everyone! The season anyway...for me anyway. As the family celebrated Thanksgiving on Saturday, I feel rationalized to celebrate before the actual day after. On the evening on Saturday, I realized that Thanksgiving dinner had already taken place for the family, so I've taken to singing Christmas songs. It's like popping the lid off a pressure cooker. It was a big deal for me when I braced myself, and started singing "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all --- hee hee he he he!" I know I'm a dork, but there it was. The first several times I couldn't help but get pretty giddy. Elder Jackson can't understand it at all. I'm loving it though.

Today we'll be doing our zone activity. I'm not sure what we're going to be doing, but it'll probably be volleyball or something. Elder Jackson and I had a meeting, yesterday with the stake president, our ward mission leader, the high counselor over missionary work, and the zone leaders, discussing the work in the Modesto 8th ward. For the most part, I think, the stake president just wanted to get a grasp of the situation and see how he can help. This ward has had a big problem with its missionary effort. There have only been two convert baptisms year-to-date and not too much support from the ward in that regard. It's been picking up, but not at a fast rate or anything. It was a really good meeting, though. The baptism we have scheduled is still going for a week from Tuesday, on the 1st. I'm excited because if/when it goes through, it'll be the first person I've taught that has actually gotten baptized while I was still in the area since a week and a half into the mission. It's been awhile. Everyone chose to join the church after I left the area, which is fine, but blah.

I went on an exchange in the 3rd ward with my district leader's companion on Thursday. (a side note--my district leader has been out a shorter time than I have been out...weird) It was interesting because the elder I was with came out from Mexico three months ago without knowing any English. He's learned an incredible amount in a short amount of time. He learned quickly because any time he doesn't know a word or how to say a word, he'll ask and we'd play a little game of charades mingled with Spanish. It was a lot of fun. I've never been with anyone that was so excited to talk to people, though--excited about everything, actually.

Elder Jackson has us waking up at six every morning to do our exercises. Every other day we go to a member's home that has gym equipment in their garage. Mostly I sit around doing something here and there while he works up a sweat. I haven't quite reached the point where I'm "AAHH! I have six months before I go home. I need to get ripped, fast!" ...yet. I'm still working on having any energy in the morning. I'm way better than I used to be though. I don't really mind waking up in the mornings anymore. And for some reason I don't mind going to bed early either...can't imagine why... Well, I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, or will have another good Thanksgiving on Thursday.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment