Monday, November 16, 2009

Nov. 16, 2009

Our Thanksgiving will be spent at a member's home with their family. It's weird...right before the library opened, the sister missionaries were talking with Elder Jackson and me, and one of them, this is her second transfer. What's weird about that is that she barely came out, yet we apparently leave on the same day. There's something peculiar about that.

We had zone conference this past week, which was pretty good. Elder Gibbons (one of the quorums of the 70...not sure which) and his wife came as guest speakers. I saw Elder Jorgensen up here, as well as Elder Carter (MTC companion), and others I knew. North, South, North again...I've been completely bypassing the Fresno zones (central). The weather has been fairly agreeable. It's cold, but not bitterly so at all. It's maybe in the 50s/60s. It's enough for a light jacket, but not much more. I'm hoping this is the coldest it gets, just for the sake of convenience. Some of the trees are completely bare, some are yellow or red, and some are still green. There are so many different kinds that have been planted here; they don't all follow the same autumn program.

We set a baptism date with an investigator this week. Her name is Destiny, and she's the 10 yr. old daughter of a reactivating less-active member. She's been to church the past four weeks and is really excited. There's a recent convert that has three daughters in their teens that haven't shown too much motivation lately, but they came to church as well and are showing potential for it.

My bike is angry at me. It put up with its eternal struggle against me for a few months, but then one day it decided to yell at me some more. In the same day, it broke two spokes. In the morning I heard a ping and I thought to myself, "No way...I didn’t even go off any curbs or anything" (just riding along). Later I found that it was indeed broken. Then later, in the evening, I heard another one while I was going along, "ping". They were right near each other, both pulling the same way, so it was not ridable. I should be able to pick it up today, but for the past couple of days, it's been in the shop. The guy told me they'd get it fixed today. I'm wondering if it isn't the colder weather that's doing it...not sure.

I found out at zone conference that one of the ladies I taught in Visalia 2nd got baptized. That's really good, because she had a bad smoking problem. Elder Dickson, the companion I had when I was there, is apparently still there. He'll be going on 7.5 months in that same area. I hope I never stay in an area for that long. 4.5 is long enough to stay in a single area. There's just nothing else you feel like you can do after that long. You've talked to everyone who walks and knocked on much of the area. They put two Mhong-speaking elders into the Visalia 1st Ward after Elder Bean and I had left. That's good for the Mhong work, but I thought it was weird that they put two of them in.

We played basketball and dodge ball at the church last Monday. It was fun, but I was sore for days afterward. We won't be doing it this week. There's too much we need to get done at the apartment. My ankle is doing better, still swollen. It will just take time. I have most of my range of motion back. Most any picture or clipart won't show up on the Modesto library computers. Also, I can't go to any other website, whether they're blogs, news stories, e-cards, or anything else. It's kind of a bummer, but it keeps it simple. There isn't too much else to tell. As I promise most weeks, I will get letters written today. That's one of the reasons I'm not going to spend three or four hours playing basketball this week. I hope everyone enjoys Thanksgiving on Saturday, or whenever anyone else is having theirs. Bye for now.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment