Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19, 2010


Aaron at one of his baptisms

As yesterday was MLK Day, the libraries were closed. Unfortunately, most of the day was spent playing dodge ball rather than writing letters. Transfer calls are this Saturday, so who knows what will happen, like always. I'm guessing I'll be moved out, somewhere. On the other hand, if I stayed, I'd send home my fourth companion, and that would be kind of cool. I'm not looking to stay, however. Moving on is always very nice.

We had ward conference on Sunday. The stake presidency is really good. The whole thing was pretty missionary-minded, as well as home/visiting teaching.

It's been raining the past few days. It's stopped a few times, but for the most part it's been a constant thing. The weirdest thing about out here--It's been sprinkling, and to everyone, it's a bad rain storm that's happening. Not only that, but the streets flood. The rain sewer system is apparently very low capacity.

This week we took a part-member family on a church tour. It was just about the funniest thing in a long time. They are a Vietnamese family. The mother and the son are active, and the husband is not a member. A little background-- The non-member, the husband, speaks English with a poor accent, and speaks very, very fast. He's very intelligent and likes to talk a lot. The wife speaks pretty much no English. The 10 yr old son is autistic and is one of the funniest kids ever. He's always talking about Thomas the tank engine, or Japanese Talking Thomas (I'm not sure what that is, but I guess it's an offshoot or something). During the church tour, we're at the baptismal font talking about Jesus Christ's baptism. The husband is talking extremely fast about all his views on religion and his upbringing in a French monetary in Vietnam while the son is running around trying to tickle us and the wife is motioning us to stand closer together while she snaps picture after picture with her camera phone. It was ridiculously funny.

We watched The Testaments at an investigator's house. He loved it and kept saying so, but I think I enjoyed it just as much. Movies are always much better when they're on a giant television, which pretty much everyone seems to have out here. The giant LCD screens seem to be the norm out here. I'm not sure if that's the new thing, or if it's a California thing, or just a lot of people not having the proper priorities when it comes to spending their money. It's probably the latter, but giant TVs are great. The movie is really great as well. I just can't wait until they come out with Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration on DVD. I look forward to that time--any word on when that's supposed to happen? I'm pretty much out of the loop. It's the weirdest thing, even after a year of it, when things happen on the news and I hear about it days later when people make off-handed comments about it. A terrorist sets off his underwear bomb, earthquakes, political turmoil, etc. I'm glad to have a break from it in a way, to be honest. What's the weather like back home? Cold, rainy, snowy?

I think it's awesome that missionaries are going to living there at home. Do you have any idea how long? Did they give you the impression it was for a few weeks or more like six months? I've yet to live in a member's home, but there are definite advantages to it, especially financially. It makes missionaries have to be on their best behavior as well.

I was on an exchange this week and the elder played his Saturday's Warrior soundtrack...wow. That took me back and now...now I've been playing the movie in my head and can't get it out. It's pretty bizarre.

Hoping all is well,

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment