Monday, February 8, 2010

I've been out a year!

Well, I've been out a year. I'm currently in a sort of Limbo. I've been out over a year, but I also go home in over a year. A year from tomorrow will be the day I come home after my mission is complete. I'm too used to California, I think. There's a crazy guy sitting on the computer next to me gently arguing with himself while he surfs the internet. I'm totally used to that. It just feels normal, as though that's the usual thing. Coming to the 2nd ward is kind of a really great thing.

I forgot to mention it last week, but there's this thing about missionary apartments. When you don't need/want something anymore, if it still has any use left, it gets left behind. It's kind of an unspoken law of consecration. Pretty much, any future missionary can lay claim to it. I come into our new apartment, and lo and behold, someone had abandoned (most of) their own Diamondback Edgewood (same as my bike, just this one's a smaller frame). It's fairly new and has just been sitting there for a long time. I've been (when I have the time) taking parts from it and replacing some of my worn parts. I'm taking the brakes and the treads and the seat stem. I'm not sure if anything else is even worth it. I have very little time with all the other projects I've been occupying myself with. This morning I found a pair of shoes that are about my size and are in pretty good condition. The soles and falling off a bit, so I'll need to get some shoe goo or something, but other than that, awesome.

I'll be busy today, as usual. We committed, because we said no last week, that we would play dodge ball this week. That'll cut into our day for sure. We also have a lot more cleaning to do in the apartment. I wasn't kidding when I said that that apartment is a rat's nest. We cleaned the kitchen last week. It's not near to being done, but it's livable now. Everything is pretty gross, and because it's so gross, it's a lot of fun to clean. There's instant gratification that comes with wiping something and finding out what color the surface is actually supposed to be. I pulled out the refrigerator...bleck. It's clean now. I thought we may have needed a new vacuum because it wasn't working and it was spitting out dirt instead of sucking it up. I knew if I looked at it that I could fix it. It's bagless and there are four washable filters on it. All of them were caked with an eternity of filth. It now works wonders. I tested out a 3x3 ft square after I cleaned it and I emptied a large ball of junk from the canister. It was very satisfying. I look forward to some day having the time when it isn't early in the morning or late at night (when I have time) when I can push it all over. I'm pretty excited about it; I'm not going to lie.

Next week, I don't know if I'll be emailing or not. We will be having out temple trip next Tuesday, and that'll be the day we're moving our preparation day to. I don't know if/how much time we'll have to email. It's rained a couple times this week. I like this weather better than the 100+ degree weather all summer here, but I do enjoy that it doesn't rain during the summer. A couple weeks ago it did thunderstorm, though. I had to pause and reflect, as it had been a year or more since I had heard one. It wasn't the same as the Midwest, but there was noise and light flashing in the sky. I do miss the summer thunderstorms back home. I would just hate to have to be a missionary in them. I like them if I can stay inside or sit on a covered porch (except, of course, they make it to where the power goes out and/or we can't use the computers). The weather has been in the 40s or 50s usually. It isn't really cold, though. There's very little humidity, so all I usually need is a light windbreaker-type jacket and maybe my gloves if my hands get cold on the handlebars. We'll be having another zone conference tomorrow. Apparently there are changes coming that the zone leaders cryptically warned us about, but wouldn't tell us anything. I have no idea. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. Elder Hansen and I are getting along well. We're pretty similar, as it turns out. We aren't quote-buddies, as Elder Daniels and I are, but he is a movie buff. Elder Daniels and I could throw out the most random quote, even a couple words, and the other could finish it. It's all going pretty well. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll try to write real letters soon.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment