Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Little old grape picker, me.

I had a dream last night. I had just gotten home from my mission (not a usual thing in my dreams)

and had moved in with Karen and Mike. Jeanette was there. She was very, very angry with me because she was under the impression that I was enrolling mid-semester into Advanced Video Game Playing. Supposedly, Karen and Jeanette had worked very hard in the Basic course and were now at this point, and I had the nerve to suppose that I was good enough to come butting in without any of the preliminary classes. It was a strange sort of thing.


I don't have too much time today. Yesterday was Labor Day, so we're doing our emails today. I

didn't have time to get any letters written yesterday, so none are coming from me this week--sorry. The church owns the welfare farm that makes raisins in Medera, CA. We went there on Saturday for the harvest. We used a hooked knife to cut down the bunches and then dump the bucket of grapes onto paper trays that are laid out between the rows. They will lay there for a couple of weeks in the sun and dry out. In about a couple of weeks, people (hopefully we'll get to go) will go up and somehow turn the grapes over to get it even. Then they are rolled up in the trays so they can dry the rest of the way somehow. Once they are all dried up, they get dumped into the bin on a tractor and sent to some facility where they are dried further and stored. I didn't find out until the dinner after we did the grapes that the grapes dry up into rock-hard little wrinkled pellets. They can store for years, then when they need them, they somehow rehydrate them, box them up, and ship them out whenever they need to. I was pretty impressed with that. It was a lot of fun, doing the harvest. It's dirty, my legs still hurt from kneeling in the positions we had to to reach up and cut, and the vines are full of these gross-looking spiders, but it's really great. I certainly wouldn't want to be a field laborer for a living, but once a year is just about right. Our rows of grapes were right next to the Visalia rows. I ran into several people from Visalia 1st. I was really happy about that, as it had been a year since I had seen them. We had one investigator come, as well, Ricardo. He has come a couple other years as well. The harvest was so much better than last year's was. It was at least 3-4 times more, I would imagine. I'll be sending a new picture CD...within a month or so. I'm not sure when. I'll try to get more taken and get that out soon.


We have a week full of appointments and things happening. We have 23 appointments, not counting two more training meetings, preparation day, district meeting, weekly planning, and church. It's been and will continue to be a very busy and good week. We had the first of the 'specialized leadership training meetings' on Thursday. The Tuesday one was canceled and will be rescheduled for sometime. It was a lot like a zone conference, just more specific. We'll be having a couple more this week. We will also be going on two exchanges. I also hit my 19 month mark. I'm feeling older by the day, just about. Feb. 9th seems far away because it's next year, but when it comes down to it, I can count the months on one hand.

I guess I'd better get back to it. Have a great week, everyone.


Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment